ORDERING CHILEAN HASS AVOCADOS
Specify by Count
- Count means the number of avocados in a 25lb box of fruit, packed in two layers.
- Counts range from 36, 40, 50, 60, 70 to 84.
- 50 and 60 count avocados are most used in foodservice.
- An average yield for all counts is 70%.
- A 50 count avocado weighs about 7.7 oz, yields about two thirds cup or about 5.4 oz of fruit.
- A 60 count avocado weights about 5.9 oz, yields about a half cup or about 3.9 oz of fruit.
Specify by Stage of Ripeness
Chilean Hass Avocado Importers offer avocados at three stages of ripeness. Order the stage needed depending on menu scheduling.
Bright green and firm to the touch. It will ripen in 5-7 days at room temperature.
Dark green and beginning to soften. It will ripen in 2-5 days at room temperature.
Dark green/almost black and yields to gentle pressure at the stem end.
Store in the cooler at 36°F-40°F for no more than 1 week.
Storing and Handling
Store cartons at temperatures recommended above. Stack to allow air to circulate. Handle cartons and individual avocados gently — they can bruise and thus reduce yield.